Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kingpin or Safety Pin?

In the wake of the snooze fest that was Fury vs Johnson, one has to wonder, should Kevin Johnson change his nick name from kingpin to safety pin? During the buildup to his fight with Tyson Fury, Johnson did a lot of talking, as he generally does, but come fight night did little fighting. I heard about Johnson long before I ever seen him, his mouth is almost legendary and if he could actually back it up, he might actually be liked. Since I heard so much from him, I began looking at his fights and I have to say I was not even slightly impressed by anything Johnson does. He is not just a safety first fighter but seems to be obsessively defensive, throwing jabs, then covering up. I am baffled by Johnson's claims to greatness when his activity level in the ring is virtually non-existent.

Against lesser fighters he had the same sort of pattern, jab and then go defensive. If his opponent offered up nothing in terms of offense then he might throw a lead left hook or even a right hand behind his jab, but rarely. Often times his opponents would tire, offer little resistance, and he would capitalize on that, like he did against Devin Vargas and Bruce Seldon. When he was in against Vitali, who never got tired, he literally just tried to survive from the opening bell, and survive he did.

There are few american heavyweights, our other hopeful, Seth Mitchell, got demolished in two rounds recently and then there is Kevin Johnson. The man calls himself "kingpin" and talks more than any other heavyweight in recent memory. What is worse, his banter is not even entertaining, it is annoying. He makes it even worse when he gets in the ring and does next to nothing. This is why I prefer to call him "safety pin" because of his safety first obsession in the ring that leads to bore fests.

I completely understand how dangerous boxing is, I myself have been in the ring and am well aware of the dangers. So I understand why people would be cautious in the ring, but Johnson takes it to a whole other level. The only other hope for american heavyweights is Deontay Wilder, who seems more content on fighting people we have never heard of then actually stepping up and facing someone of note. Hopefully Johnson's time has passed, I cannot bare to see another Johnson fight unless the end result is him laying on the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment