Sunday, December 16, 2012

Deontay Wilder, In Perspective

On December 15th Deontay Wilder took on unbeaten Kelvin Price. This was the a step up for both fighters as each has had limited opposition. Price actually has fought the better fighters having beaten heavyweight hopeful Tor Hamer, so he certainly was a big step up in class for Wilder who has fought virtually nobody of note.

Now, I have been critical of Wilder and his very soft competition, I do realize that he came to the game late and his people are moving him slowly, I get that. However it seems as if he is being protected. There are plenty of heavyweights out there that he could get some rounds in against, there are plenty of guys he could be put in against so we, as fans, can see just how good Wilder is. We know he can punch, and that is about it.

I have to say that I was somewhat impressed by Wilder's performance in this fight. He was fighting a very awkward fighter who has more experience than him and he fought at a much slower pace than before, possibly losing the first two rounds. For me this showed that he is maturing. He did not rush in looking for a knockout, instead he took his time figuring out the awkward Price, staggered him in the third round and calmly and patiently followed up with a jab, that clearly blinded Price from the right hand bomb that followed and abruptly ended Price's night.

Granted, Price is not a top ten heavyweight, but he was undefeated and is a decent fighter. Price gave Hamer all he could handle and Hamer had a tough time finding Price due to his unorthodox style. So this fight did tell us something about Wilder, he is not just a face first brawler, a guy looking to come out bombing. He was clearly thinking in there, studying his opponent and patiently waited for the right opening. In the past when he had his man hurt, Wilder would seemingly lose his cool and flail until something landed and the fight ended. So to see him as calm as he was really impressed me because it graphically shows me that he is improving and trying to work out the kinks, smooth those rough edges I have previously spoken of.

In perspective, this is a good win for Wilder and a gives us fans a small glimpse into Deontay Wilder as a fighter, we know he is serious and he is improving, and I love to see that in a fighter. Now I think its time they start moving him up to the trial horses and gatekeepers. For anyone who has followed my posts they know I am always critical of Wilder, so for me to be impressed is saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment