Saturday, December 7, 2013

Yes, I admit it, I was wrong about Danny Garcia


Before Danny Garcia fought Lucas Matthysse, I told my friend Fady that Garcia was going to lose to the man dubbed "the machine." I genuinely liked, and still like, Danny Garcia but I just did not see him as much of a threat. Yea, he beat Amir Khan and brutally knocked out aged veteran Erik Morales, but Matthysse was quickly proving that his nickname was more than just a nickname. Going into the Matthysse fight Garcia was coming off a hard fought win over Zab Judah. I saw that fight and thought that if he struggled against Judah then he was overrated and would get beaten up by Matthysse. But, I admit to my mistakes, I was dead wrong about that. Garcia made Matthysse live up to his nick name machine, making him look one dimensional and robotic. It was not even close as Garcia cruised to an easy 12 decision and Matthysse looked more like a mediocre fighter than the destroyer we previously thought him to be. Perhaps Matthysse is as good as we thought and Garcia is just much better than we thought. At any rate, Danny Garcia has proven that he belongs amongst the higher echelon fighters, taking challenges that he is not supposed to win, and proving everyone wrong.

I was wrong about Danny Garcia, and I am happy about that actually. Garcia is a class act, a very quiet and modest hard working talent. He is well spoken and a guy that everyone can root for. His press conferences are a thing to behold at times, but not because of anything he does, but its his fathers mouth. What makes that so cool? That Garcia manages to get in the ring and back it up. I was wrong and I am happy that I was wrong, I like Garcia and I think he is going to go far in this sport. This is just the beginning in my opinion.









No comments:

Post a Comment