Saturday, December 7, 2013

Kirkland vs Tapia, Post fight analysis




Well, I said it before and I will say it again, I will admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong on this one. Last night we saw the return of James Kirkland on the undercard of Rigondeux vs Agbeko, and boy did he return in style. The first round it was clear that Kirkland had some ring rust, but it was not clear if it was just some ring rust or that Kirkland was a shot fighter. He looked a bit uncomfortable and Tapia did not seem deterred by anything Kirkland had to offer. Despite having some doubts about my call on this fight, they seemed to subside in that first round, Kirkland just did not look like Kirkland. He was taking a lot of punches and seemed unsure of his distance and looked a bit awkward throwing his punches. However it became evident that Kirkland was determined to overcome this ring rust and in the second and third he seemed to really begin to shake it off and find his old form again. I was not sure if Tapia was hurt or if he was intent on letting Kirkland punch himself out, he would let Kirkland whale on him but he would strike out here and there. So I thought maybe Tapia was attempting a rope-a-dope strategy, but again as the fight wore on it became clear that Kirkland was not shot and that he was really coming on. He was beating Tapia's body so bad that there were some points that he was on the inside and visibly leaning his body awkwardly away from Kirkland, thats when I knew he was done. The first three rounds it looked like Hagler v. Hearns, no joke, they both nailed each other with good shots and Kirkland threw an unbelievable amount of punches, it seemed like there was no way he could sustain this, but he did. In fact, he looked as if he was getting stronger as the fight wore on.

So Kirkland proved me wrong. I have to give him credit, he seemed to have everything working against him. One thing that did make me doubt my call was that I had learned that a few months back he reconciled with Ann Wolfe. If anyone can bring Kirkland back after such a long layoff, its Ann Wolfe. It seems he has shaken the rust and has gotten back his old form. He also took on a young and hungry 23 year old unbeaten up and comer in Glen Tapia, things have gotten much more interesting in the middleweight division.

No comments:

Post a Comment