Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ortiz vs Collazo Pre Fight Analysis



On January 30th Victor Ortiz returns to the ring against the always tough Luis Collazo in a welterweight clash. It has been nearly two years since Ortiz was last in the ring when he lost to Joesesito Lopez via a broken jaw. I am not one of the ones that got on Ortiz about quitting that night, I am sure a broken jaw hurts so I am not gonna knock the guy for quitting. I have to question his ability to come back nearly two years after two consecutive losses against Collazo. Luis Collazo is not an opponent, he is a real guy that is slick but at the same time can scrap. He is tough as nails and probably hungry to prove himself since he seems to always fall shy of winning in the bigger fights. His only real problem is that he seems to fade a bit in the later rounds, I am not sure if this is a stamina issue or he just kind of becomes a little bit lazy.

What Should Happen
Assuming Ortiz is not a shot fighter with a whole lot of ring rust and is still the same old Ortiz, he should be able to bang out a decision but it wont be easy and it could be a good scrap. Ortiz can still punch and if he lands some good punches he could force Collazo into safety mode. This would keep Ortiz coming forward and Collazo unable to do much off the back foot.
Result: Ortiz UD

What Could Happen
This is what I am hoping happens, a war. Collazo isn't likely to back down, he has a good chin too. If he decides not to box, then he could make this a war. Its really tough to tell who would win in a war, Ortiz has the power advantage but he has been off since 2012 and lost his last two fights, one in brutal fashion at the hands of Mayweather. One has to wonder how much he has left and if Collazo can take his punch I think he forces Ortiz to quit or stops him. Now, he could stop him early if Ortiz has that much ring rust or he could wear him down and stop him late, either way Collazo could win this thing in spectacular fashion.
Result: Collazo by KO or TKO

What I Think Will Happen
I think Collazo uses his superior skills to frustrate Ortiz who then amps up the pressure on Collazo. I think Collazo is going to counter punch as long as he can before the pressure becomes too much and he is forced to fight Ortiz' fight. I think Collazo outboxes Ortiz and out punches Ortiz. I think Ortiz, desperate to show he has heart, continues fighting although he has given up and is just trying to make it to the end. I just do not think Ortiz has much left at this point.
Result: Collazo by UD

No comments:

Post a Comment